Friday, September 6, 2013

Back to School...

This week was the start of school for me.  Back to work.  Back to day care for the girls.  Back to our schedule.  And can I tell you, I really dislike the first week of school.

The first week of school is crazy.  New students.  New routines.  A whole new year.    It's all very intimidating.  I don't sleep well.

But I'm hoping for a good year.  Last year was hard.  Really, really hard.  We have a nice group of kids this year.  A new principal.  A new, later start time.  Things are looking good.

And the new school year means new school supplies (why do new school supplies make me so happy?).* And the fresh start that comes with a new year.  
I like to feel organized.  This year one of my goals is to keep things more organized at home.  To make sure everything has a place (and make sure it gets there) and to clear out some of the stuff we don't use anymore.  To have fewer late nights.  And fewer rushed mornings.  I have new calendars for planning, notebooks for lists and washi tape to make them look pretty.

My  new schedule gives me a little flexibility.  I have exactly 36 minutes from the time I can leave work to the time I need to pick up the girls.  One of my coworkers told me she read a book about being organized and the author said productive people don't think, I only have 10 minutes, I can't get anything done.  Instead they think, I have 10 minutes, what can I get done?  So I'm trying to think that way.  I have 36 minutes, what can I get done?  I can squeeze in a quick run.  I can go to the post office.  I can pick up a few things from the grocery store.  I can go to the bank.  All tasks that are more difficult with 2 tired girls in tow.  And being productive during those 36 minutes gives me a little more free time in the afternoon.  To read.  To write.  To relax.  

Does anyone have other ideas for how to stay organized/productive/motivated as the new school year starts? 

*E and I were watching the news over the weekend, and there was a story about Crayola.  I commented on how I love fresh markers.  E laughed and said most women my age are not excited about new markers.

No comments:

Post a Comment