Friday, August 1, 2014

Summer 2014 DITL

I was going to skip the summer DITL post because right now our days have very little routine, but at the last minute I thought it might be fun to be able to look back at a snapshot of our summer before we add another baby to the mix.  I forgot to take pictures for parts of the day, and didn't take any notes, so it might be a little off, but it's basically our day on July 29, 2014.  Miss A is 4 years, 4 months, Little J is 2 years, 8 months and I am 39 weeks, 3 days pregnant with Baby #3.  

7:15ish:  E wakes up and I get up to iron a shirt.  I have a hard time getting myself going in the morning, so it helps to get up and help E get ready for work.  E leaves a little after 7:30 and I spend some time checking in on social media.

8:00am:  The girls wake up and come snuggle with me on the couch for a bit.  I feel REALLY lucky that they have adjusted to summer and sleep in most days.  I haven't been sleeping very well at night, so it's nice to have slow mornings.  I turn on Sofia the First, their current favorite cartoon, so I can take a shower in peace.

8:45am:  Out of the shower and getting ready for the day.  I just discovered a non maternity maxi skirt that fits.  Score!  I'm sick of most of my maternity clothes, so this was a pleasant surprise.  We're meeting up with some friends, so I do my hair and put on some make up.

9:00am:  Time for breakfast.  We're in a cereal routine, but the girls aren't complaining, so I'll stick with it.  Little J and I have Honey Nut Cheerios while Miss A has her favorite, Raisin Bran.  Both girls are upset that their preferred color bowls are not clean.  We'll have to make sure the dishes get done later.

9:15am:  I pack lunches for the three of us while the girls finish breakfast.  Today we're having peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, strawberries, string cheese and carrots.  I also pack juice boxes for us (the Wild Harvest juice boxes are my favorite right now!).  After our lunches are packed, I try to get the girls dressed and ready for the day.

10:15am:  We're finally out of the house and on our way to our play date.  We head to a park about 15 minutes away.

10:45am:  After getting a little lost (even though we've been to the park many times before) we finally make it to the park.  I like this park because the play structure is a nice size for the girls to explore on their own... nothing too high.  Miss A is starting to grow out of it, but it still works for this summer and our friends are there.  The family we meet up with has a very similar family to ours, 2 girls, each a couple months younger than ours and also expecting baby #3 soon.  It's so fun to watch the kids grow up together!

11:45am:  Our friends have to leave for a service call at their house, but we stay for a picnic.  The girls love our summer picnics (and so do I).

12:00pm:  After lunch the girls head back to the playground for more climbing, running and sliding.  A school group comes, and both girls make some new friends to run around with.

12:20pm:  We leave the park and load up for a quick stop at Target on our way home.

1:00pm:  We leave Target after an amazingly short trip for us.  We didn't actually need much, but we were going to drive by on our way home, and I feel compelled to keep the house stocked with everything I can think of this week, just in case baby decides to come.  I was the lady with 4 gallons of milk at the grocery store on Monday.

1:15pm:  We get home and I realize that Little J fell asleep in her car seat.  Grrr.   She used to be easy to transfer to bed, but it hasn't been going as well lately.  I try to move her, and she wakes up.  She wasn't sleeping long, so I still insist on some quiet time in her bed.

1:20pm:  Miss A gets to stay up a little longer before her rest time.  She wants to finish her lunch, then helps me with some cleaning.  I decide the trash can and recycling bin really need to be cleaned.  I put away the things we pick up at Target, then decide to do a little cleaning.  Vacuuming the couch cushions seems necessary and I quickly go over the floors with the Swiffer (last week I was scrubbing all the floors, I've lost some steam since then).

2:30ish:  Time for Miss A to rest.  I grab the computer and some Oreos to get a little work done.  I took family pictures for a friend last week, and I'm hoping to have them done for her before baby arrives, so I spend some time editing, and a little time on the blog too.

3:15pm:  The girls get up from their rest time.  Little J brings me my bison (that she has taken possession of recently) to keep me company.  I let the girls watch another cartoon (more Sofia) so I can finish up a little more work.

3:45pm:  Snack time.  I've been loving apples this week, so I have an apple and the girls each have a banana.  I unpack and clean up our lunch boxes, load the dishwasher and do a little light work in the kitchen.  After their snack the girls play in the basement and their bedroom for a bit before E gets home.

I stopped taking pictures for a long stretch, and kind of forgot exactly what happened for the next few hours.  I know that E got home and played with the girls while I rested a little, the girls cleaned up their room, we made dinner (salads and steak), and ate dinner around 6:00pm (which is quite a long process here lately).

7:00pm:  After we clean up from dinner, E takes the girls outside to play in the backyard.  Little J is still addicted to the swing, and we all take turns playing softball.  Miss A is starting to get pretty good at hitting the ball.

7:30pm:  We head to the front yard to check and water the garden, and the neighbors have their sprinkler on, so both girls decide to play in the sprinkler.  E and I decide not to fight it, and pretty soon they're soaking wet.  Good thing our neighbors don't mind our kids playing in their yard (they're selling their house to move to Arizona, and we're really going to miss them!).

8:00pm:  Time to start getting ready for bed.  We get the girls inside, out of their wet clothes and in to pajamas.  The girls brush their teeth and pick out stories.  E reads a few stories to the girls in their room, then it's lights out.

8:40pm: Now we can relax a little.  Again, I can't remember exactly what we did after the girls were in bed, but our typical night goes something like this.  Little J comes out of her bed several times, Miss A a couple times too, so we take their "guys."  Eventually they stay in bed quietly and get their guys back.  E and I watch an episode or two of Breaking Bad and I eat ice cream.

10:15pm:  Bedtime for the grown ups.  I can't really fall asleep right now, so I end up awake until 11 or 11:30 most nights, even if I try to fall asleep earlier.  I end up checking in on the internet and watching TV while trying to fall asleep.


  1. Wow, that's a busy day for being 39+ weeks pregnant! Actually that's just a busy day period. Can't believe you are still managing shopping trips AND cleaning floors! That's aMazing! Hope you are feeling well and can't wait to hear of baby's arrival!

  2. What a full day! I'm impressed! I am looking forward to Aria playing a little more independently. Congrats on having the girls sleep in over the summer, slower mornings are my fave.

  3. I love the AstroTurf at the park - why do I not see this at more parks? Also, love the late wake up!

  4. Still reading through all the DITL posts, and you have probably had your baby by now! So exciting!! I'm almost 32 weeks and at that point where 8 weeks can sound so short and so long, perspective changing by the minute. I hear you on getting sick of the same few maternity clothes that fit in the end - if you're looking to get rid of yours soon, I'm in the market! Hope I can manage to keep my energy up to do as much as you at 39 weeks....

  5. Clicking over from the DITL link-up ...

    Congrats on the new baby girl! It was fun reading about your day before she was born. You were still so active and accomplishing so much in those last few days of pregnancy - wow!

  6. So much pep for being days away from delivering! I pretty much required a daily nap or I was a mess at that stage (to the point where I would get sort of panicky if a repair guy could only come during a 'nap' window - haha). What a fun thing to have a DITL documenting those last days as a family of four. And congrats again!

  7. Clicking over from DITL link-up...

    That is a LONG and busy day for being 39+ weeks pregnant! I'm sure you had your baby by now so I hope that went well!